Connect with us


Lover, boyfriend killed in love triangle



MASERU – A police officer who stalked and killed his girlfriend and her new lover in Cocobe, Quthing district, on Sunday morning has handed over himself to the police.

Police spokesman, Senior Superintendent Mpiti Mopeli, told thepost yesterday that the suspect is yet to appear before court on two counts of murder.

S/Supt Mopeli said the police officer’s full identity will be released once he appears in court. He said the suspect was at a bar where the deceased were having drinks before they left for another pub.

He said the constable, who is stationed in Quthing, stalked the two and caught them in a parked car outside the bar and riddled them with bullets before fleeing the scene.

They died on the spot.

“He later handed himself over to the police in connection with the gruesome murder. Investigations are on-going,” S/Supt Mopeli said.

Sources within the police told thepost that the constable was in a romantic relationship with the woman.

“He was jealous when he found them together,” the source said.

Meanwhile, a 28-year-old woman from Matsoku, Ha-Ralithebe, in Leribe district appeared before the Tšifa-li-Mali Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday accused of killing her boyfriend aged 23.

Police say the woman first appeared in court last week but was remanded in custody.

Both the suspect and deceased were staying in Tšifa-li-Mali.

“On the day that the deceased was stabbed, he arrived home drunk and accused his girlfriend of having extra affairs,” the police statement reads.

A fight ensued, leading to the woman taking a knife and stabbed the drunken boyfriend to death.

He died on the spot.

In another incident, a 28-year-old woman from Mantšonyane, Thaba-Tseka, was brutally killed by his boyfriend aged 28-years- earlier this month.

Police say the woman had called the boyfriend asking him to fetch her at a party and when he arrived there he found her with another man in a car.

“He tried to open the door of the car but it was locked,” the police said.

“Then the suspect went into the house and later went back to the car and found nobody in it.”

The police say the man went back into the house where he found the woman and asked her to go home.

“The deceased was hesitant to go but the suspect pleaded with her to go,” the police said.

While on the way, police said the suspect beat up the deceased with willow sticks until she was unable to walk properly.

Police said the woman was admitted at a hospital with a bruised body. She later succumbed to her injuries.

The suspect was later picked up by the police for questioning.

He was taken to court on Tuesday last week where he appeared before Magistrate Motebele and Prosecutor Letuka.

He was not asked to plead, only advised about his rights to apply for bail at the High Court.

He was remanded in custody and he is expected to make a second appearance in court on Wednesday next week.

Majara Molupe

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Copyright © 2022. The Post Newspaper. All Rights Reserved