Connect with us


Mokhotlong LMPS players in trouble



MASERU – Three Mokhotlong LMPS players are in trouble after a disgraceful assault on a referee last Saturday.

The players, who are policemen in their day jobs, committed the crime after their side’s league game against Black Five in the B Division.

It is believed the players were annoyed by the referee’s decisions on the field and they waited for him on his way home and beat him to a pulp.

The referee and players are known to thepost but their names have been withheld. At the time of writing the B&C Division Central Management was yet to meet to discuss disciplinary action.

Speaking yesterday morning, the chairperson of the B&C Central, Tholang Mapola, said the committee would be meeting last night to discuss the incident.

For his part, DIFA Mokhotlong president Sekonyela Molefe strongly condemned the players’ violent behaviour and said their barbaric actions are not good for football.

“It’s not a good thing, we don’t want these things in football. We are working hard to improve football,” Molefe said.

It is unclear what punishment the players will receive or what penalties will be handed down on Mokhotlong LMPS, but the incident is even more alarming because the players are police officers.

The referee could also sue the individuals for assault if he wishes to.

The incident was not the only instance of violent behaviour from the weekend’s league action.

Officials who were in charge of the Vodacom Premier League match between Lioli and Bantu on Sunday had to run for their lives after being attacked by a mob of Bantu supporters who camped near their car after the game.

The match in Teya-Teyaneng ended in a 0-0 draw and Bantu supporters came all the way from Mafeteng in buses that were parked near the officials’ car which risked the referees’ security.

According to eyewitnesses, the referees were getting dressed when fans started getting tense near their car and began hurling insults at the officials.

The actions of Bantu fans stemmed from an on-field decision to rule out a Bantu goal for offside.

However, their anger was unfounded because the assistant referee’s offside flag immediately went up before the ball even entered the penalty area or hit the net.

In fact, five passes were made while the assistant referee’s flag was raised to signal offside.

How the fans were allowed to park their buses next to the match officials which clearly risked their security is unclear. That is for the home side, Lioli, to answer.

Sports Reporter


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Copyright © 2022. The Post Newspaper. All Rights Reserved